Thursday 19 August 2010

Blue, blue and more blue



After a very exhausting two days trucking up and down to Devon with my parents and grandma, I have pooled a lovely little make-shift stash to start sewing away at. I'm sorry that so far all you've seen is inspiration and patterns but this post is different it also has... FABRIC! A little bit of a trip to Totnes yesterday brought me to an amazing little sewing shop called Stone Fabrics and I wish I'd taken my camera it was sooo beautiful with staff that knew absolutely everything. I'm pretty sure I heard one lady talk another through each step of an entire pattern! I was in search of slightly Autumn/Winter fabrics and boy did I find them I got this amazing medium weight Polyester knit in a kingfisher blue perfect for my Butterick B5032 Vintage 52 reprint, which I also purchased.


There was also a lovely moss green version but my funds did not allow sadly. However they do offer an internet service woohoo! So that is next on my list.
Today however it occurred to me I had spent a fair bit on this fabric and have recently made a pretty dress in a greeny tweed which I have had endless fitting problems with (see previous post) So I have to swallow my pride and admit that at college they were right that doing a Toile is the right thing to do (I hate them, I am far too impatient but this leaves me with a million and one unwearable garments due to my lack of care in the bottom of the pile to be sorted.)
So I toddled into another fab shop in Exeter, aptly named Exeter Sewing Machines. Another brilliant place for tweeds and knits that I crave at the moment. However after a lovely chat with some other shop goers, I decided on a cheap 100% cotton in a chalky sky blue for my toile. (think nurses uniform colour) Problem is I am concerned I will look like a nurse if I ever wore it out...
Nevermind I also purchased a Navy cotton poly mix to replicate Tilly from Tilly and the buttons' Birthday party dress. It is such a beautiful dress, so easy and simple to wear with just the right touch of red on the sash so I'm sorry to say I will probably replicate it shamefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say!
Please feel free to leave me a comment...